Sunday, November 9, 2008

Disco Ditto and other stuff by Az

I'm posting about this mainly because of a freak coincidence. While searching SoulSeek for some music I ran across a guy named "Disco Ditto." The name seemed familiar and it took a few minutes before I remembered listening to a band with the same name on MySpace a few hours earlier. I asked him if he was in the band and he said yes. He then told me about another band of his called Stellarium. Now, if the "Shoegaze/Shoegaze/Shoegaze" tag on Stellarium's MySpace or the dozens of references on Disco Ditto's page didn't tip you off, these two bands are shoegaze. Well, I guess it's called nu-gaze now that we're in the 2000s but whatever. MBV and JAMC inspired noisy music.

Disco Ditto released a free EP titled Into The Void earlier this year. Here is what Az has to say about it:
For starters, here’s a brief info:

Disco Ditto started as a one man solo project that I did to do stuff bordering on how I feel and for nostalgic purposes. It was 2004, and I was concurrently in Valium, a post punk band, and in Athena Flight, a shoegaze band which had lotsa potential and songs but fell out in the end. So in the midst of being in those two bands I decided to do something for myself as a way to remember particular feelings and emotions. And that’s when I recorded Love in a total time span of 13 hours at home on my busted computer. A few other songs fell through from there, some good, some bad, but it was personal to me.

In the path through time, I met different sets of individuals who expressed interest and liking in the songs, though I thought they were merely simplistic and too personal for anyone to comprehend, these three individuals joined the band and now it has evolved into a complete band with different sounds entirely, in which I’m glad and interested in exploring. I have since decided to let go of the EP as a sign of a closing chapter, and the opening of a new one with the current line-up.

I hope you guys will enjoy it, and treat it as a walk down memory lane yourselves.


Love,

Az

Disco Ditto
Download Into The Void or head to MySpace and preview the tracks

Unlike Disco Ditto, Stellarium is not a one man project. You can head over you their MySpace to listen to some tracks. Drift, my favorite, has a definite Slowdive feel to it. Very relaxing and smooth.

As a bonus, here is a song Az had on his SoulSeek. It is from a band called Athena Flight which is yet another band he played in. In the quoted message about Into The Void he mentions Athena Flight disbanded. I'm not sure if there are any other recordings out there, but this one is nice.

Athena Flight - Away From The Sun

3 comments:

Katie said...

what's with that cigarette in your mouth in your profile picture!!?!?!! are you smoking now? :(

damn, i've influenced you. ahaha

Michael said...

Nooo. I randomly started smoking a month ago. Not any more though.

There is a cool song by Slovenly that goes "Orange Crush in the morning through cigarette haze" which maybe explains the picture.

Katie said...

ahaha okay. good.

that's cool though. a picture to go with the lyrics.