Friday, November 7, 2008

Either Deerhunter were so loud they puréed my bowels or I shouldn't have eaten Taco Bell

Something clicked inside me when Deerhunter stopped playing and announced Barack Obama had broken 270 electoral votes. I felt as if the world had been altered. President Bush still sits in his throne and the economy remains in turbulence but my chest warmed to the news. For the rest of the set I completely lost myself in the noise. A blissful wall of sound underlain by Bradford Cox's vocals washed away every anxiety. And though I knew no promised change would be seen until January 20th, the streets of Washington, D.C. professed that it had come sharp at 11 o'clock. Hollers and sirens and honks echoed around the city blocks. People blanketed an entire intersection, blocking traffic. Bits of the 93% of D.C. that voted for Obama sprawled all of U-Street, cheering his victory. It was incredible. Never before have I seen such unity achieved through an election.

The DCist pointed out that perhaps Deerhunter made a poor choice in playing election night. For me, November 4th made the show. Decades from now some kid will be digging through my old CDs, find Cryptograms, and I will recall the night Obama was elected. I will tell him how everyone came together on the corner of 14th and U and hopefully he will have never experienced the opposite.

Deerhunter put on a fantastic show. They played tracks off both Cryptograms and Microcastle, their newest release. The sheer volume made up for the disappointing omission of Strange Lights. Days later my ears are faintly ringing but that has only encouraged me to fill silence with music. I eagerly await the band's next visit to D.C.

If you haven't listened to Deehunter yet, go buy Cryptograms and Microcastle right now.

Deerhunter - Oh It's Such A Shame
Jay Reatard cover from Jay Reatard/Deerhunter split 7"
Deerhunter - Agoraphobia
From Microcastle
Deerhunter - Strange Lights
From Cryptograms

No comments: