Saturday, December 6, 2008

Miracle Legion - The Backyard EP

I don't know what weird mood is making R.E.M. sound so good to me right now but I don't mind it at all and have been listening to Murmur and Dead Letter Office a lot. I mention R.E.M. because they are an obvious influence on Miracle Legion, a band formed in 1984 in Connecticut. The Backyard is their first release and has my two favorite songs on it: The Backyard and Just Say Hello.

Anyone remember the Nickelodeon show The Adventures of Pete and Pete? It was created by two guys who were fans of Miracle Legion, and they asked Miracle Legion to write music for the show. Mark Mulcahy, the singer, accepted and formed a side project called Polaris. The music they wrote for the show was collected on a CD titled "Music From The Adventures of Pete and Pete." I've gotta give the Pete and Pete guys credit for their music taste. Iggy Pop was a main character in the show and there were guest appearances by people like Debbie Harry (Blondie), Michael Stipe (R.E.M.), and Sarah Shannon (Velocity Girl). Good stuff.

The Backyard mp3
Just Say Hello mp3
Download EP

4 comments:

Josh said...

I love this band! They're like a late 80s after-school special, but starring Michael Stipe, Morrissey, and Hope Sandoval.

Too bad it's so impossible to find their stuff.

Thanks for posting!

Exploding Pages said...

Thanks for sharing! I love 'Me and Mr. Ray' but I'd never heard any other Miracle Legion stuff.

Kim said...

Don't know how I happened upon your blog, but my husband is the bass player on The Backyard. We were just kind of talking about old times and I looked up Miracle Legion info. to show the kids! Our oldest wears her Dad's Miracle Legion T as a nightshirt!
Anyway...glad you liked "The Backyard"

John said...

This song (The Backyard) has been stuck in the back of my head since 1988. It's always been welcome there. I've been trying to buy the ep over the last two years and can find it nowhere. So much for this brave new world we live in. I'm thrilled that you've written about them.